Ops manager Setup with replicaSet
Abhijit Jadhav
2018-10-25 15:30:11 UTC
Hi All,

I am really struggling to understand mongoDB documentations. It is not user
friendly documentation which I ever come across. Document tells whole lot
of stories but doesn't focused on how to achieve simple tasks!

I'm trying to setup Mongo Ops Manager (MMS) with mongo.mongoUri= connect to
replicaSet. Now all my replicaSet's have security:authorization: enabled
with keyFile:

I do not understand what configuration parameter is required in Ops Manager
configuration file conf-mms.properties or mms.conf to make this
communication happen?

Regards,
Abhi
Bob Cochran

Abhijit Jadhav
2018-10-25 16:28:21 UTC
Unfortunately not.
Post by Bob Cochran
https://docs.opsmanager.mongodb.com/current/tutorial/configure-ssl-connection-to-backing-mongodb/
Bob
Hi All,
I am really struggling to understand mongoDB documentations. It is not
user friendly documentation which I ever come across. Document tells whole
lot of stories but doesn't focused on how to achieve simple tasks!
I'm trying to setup Mongo Ops Manager (MMS) with mongo.mongoUri= connect
to replicaSet. Now all my replicaSet's have security:authorization: enabled
I do not understand what configuration parameter is required in Ops
Manager configuration file conf-mms.properties or mms.conf to make this
communication happen?
Regards,
Abhi
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-user/898dfe50-8251-415f-879a-9fa678002e09%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-user/898dfe50-8251-415f-879a-9fa678002e09%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-user/75D76C8F-5CB8-4217-A879-0207097C632C%40gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-user/75D76C8F-5CB8-4217-A879-0207097C632C%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Regards,
Abhijit
Abhijit Jadhav
2018-10-25 17:29:00 UTC
When I use mongo.mongoUri=username:***@host1
:port,host2:port,host3:port/?replicaset=name

The ops manger doesn’t starts, doesn’t give any error or no messages
written to ops manager log file.

But when I start ops manager with standalone app DB without enabling
security in config file then ops manager starts up without any issue. Ops
manager doesn’t start with enabling security on standalone app db as well.

I can see ops manager is making successful connections to app dB mongod in
all situations...

Regards,
Abhi
Post by Abhijit Jadhav
Unfortunately not.
--
Regards,
Abhijit
'Wan Bachtiar' via mongodb-user
2018-10-31 05:56:17 UTC
all my replicaSet’s have security:authorization: enabled with keyFile

Hi Abhijit,

Keyfiles are bare-minimum forms of security and are best suited for testing
or development environments. For production environments please use x.509
certificates for membership authentication
<https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/tutorial/configure-x509-member-authentication/>.
See also Upgrade from keyfile authentication to x.509 authentication
<https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/tutorial/upgrade-keyfile-to-x509/>.

To enable this for Ops Manager, there’s a tutorial page Enable x.509
authentication for Ops Manager
<https://docs.opsmanager.mongodb.com/current/tutorial/enable-x509-authentication-for-group/>
that you could follow.

Also please note that MongoDB Ops Manager
<https://www.mongodb.com/products/ops-manager> is part of MongoDB Enterprise
<https://www.mongodb.com/products/mongodb-enterprise-advanced> which is a
commercially supported product. If your organisation/company already has a
commercial subscription and you have further questions, I would suggest
opening a case in the Commercial MongoDB Support Portal.

Alternatively if you are evaluating MongoDB Enterprise and interested, send
me a private message with your contact details and I can request a MongoDB
Account Executive to contact you.

Regards,
Wan.
​
Abhijit Jadhav
2018-10-31 06:37:18 UTC
Hi Wan,

Thanks for your response. I will give a try today. We do have licensed
Enterprise Advance subscription. I have been working on many database
products in past 20 years. I particularly found the mongoDB documentation
is not user friendly. Opening a case is a good option. But imagine if I
have to open a case for every other topic then it is not really sensible
for me or for MongoDB organisation.

Regards,
Abhijit

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-user/94213c32-7bbe-4e74-acef-25f0a7a8117a%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-user/94213c32-7bbe-4e74-acef-25f0a7a8117a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
'Wan Bachtiar' via mongodb-user
2018-10-31 23:28:32 UTC
I particularly found the mongoDB documentation is not user friendly.
Opening a case is a good option. But imagine if I have to open a case for
every other topic then it is not really sensible for me or for MongoDB
organisation.

Hi Abhijit,

It would be great if you could provide your feedback to improve to the
documentation by opening a case. Describe in the ticket the topic that
you’re looking for, and how it could be improved i.e steps to include,
certain topology, etc. I'm sure the team would appreciate a constructive
and actionable feedback.

Best regards,
Wan.
​