MongoDB free version for commercial use
Krzysztof
2016-01-08 13:03:31 UTC
Hi Guys,

Can I use MongoDB free version for commercial use?

Best Regards
Krzysztof
Stephen Steneker
2016-01-10 23:54:12 UTC
On Saturday, 9 January 2016 00:03:31 UTC+11, Krzysztof wrote:

Can I use MongoDB free version for commercial use?

Hi Krzysztof,

The short answer is “generally, yes” as far as deploying the MongoDB
community edition for commercial use. A commercial license is only required
in some circumstances, such as deploying MongoDB Enterprise software to
production environments.

The core MongoDB server is licensed under AGPL v3.0 and the mongodb.org
drivers are Apache License 2.0 (see: MongoDB Licensing
<https://www.mongodb.org/licensing> and The AGPL
<http://blog.mongodb.org/post/103832439/the-agpl>). Commercial licenses are
also available for MongoDB Enterprise Advanced
<https://www.mongodb.com/products/mongodb-enterprise-advanced> which
includes additional security and administration features, as well as
warranty and indemnification.

The intent of using AGPL as the open source license for the MongoDB server
is to ensure modifications to the core database code are contributed to the
community. Your application connecting via standard mongodb.org
Apache-licensed database drivers is considered an independent program, and
can be under any license (including closed source).

In summary:

-

There are no restrictions if you are using the mongodb.org drivers, not
making any modifications to the core server code, and not
redistributing/embedding the MongoDB server.
-

If you make any modifications to the core server code for your
application, these changes should be made publicly available (e.g. via
public GitHub fork). You should also review the Contributor’s Guide
<https://docs.mongodb.org/v3.0/contributors/getting-started/>, which has
information on how to contribute to the core server project.
-

If you are redistributing the core server package, deploying MongoDB
Enterprise server, or embedding the MongoDB server in an OEM or installable
commercial solution you will probably need commercial licenses and should Contact
MongoDB <https://www.mongodb.com/lp/contact/enterprise> for follow-up.

Regards,
Stephen
​
Krzysztof
2016-01-12 10:53:29 UTC
Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for the answer!
So customer who want use our solution grandnode (free and open source
ecommerce platform http://grandnode.com/), can use this database without
any charge :)

Best Regards
Krzysztof

Stephen Steneker
2016-01-13 08:55:21 UTC
Post by Krzysztof
Thank you very much for the answer!
So customer who want use our solution grandnode (free and open source
ecommerce platform http://grandnode.com/), can use this database without
any charge :)
Hi Krzysztof,

End users of your solution manage their own MongoDB deployment so they are
responsible for their license compliance for any software installed.

They can certainly use the community edition of MongoDB server (open source
with no license costs) or MongoDB Enterprise Advanced server (if they are a
commercial subscriber with appropriate licenses).

Regards,
Stephen
Lalit Jairaj
2017-05-31 08:07:54 UTC
Hello Stephen,
Does this answer still hold good. One of my customers has inquired on the
same?

Regards,
Lalit Jairaj

'Stephen Steneker' via mongodb-user
2017-06-01 12:47:44 UTC
Post by Lalit Jairaj
Does this answer still hold good. One of my customers has inquired on the
same?
Hi Lalit,

Assuming you have the same circumstances (customers install or provide
their own MongoDB deployment), the same licensing applies.

If your situation is different or you have any concerns please feel free to
contact me off list and I'll help follow up.

Regards,
Stephen

Anwar
2017-10-17 06:27:39 UTC
Hi Stephen,

Based on the License terms on the Mongodb site here:
*https://www.mongodb.com/community/licensing* and here:
*https://www.mongodb.com/blog/post/the-agpl*
and with your reply to the questions in this thread, I understand that we
can use our closed commercial application with community edition of Mongodb
as a database and still sell our product without any licensing issues.

However here is one more concern which I thought you might be able to help
us.

*We would like to add community edition of mongodb installtion
package along with our product setup and install it with our setup tool.
All this only to make the setup easier for our customers.*

*We will not make any modifications to the Mongodb source or any of its
drivers.*

Is this allowed as per the license? if I do this way will it also make our
application into AGPL? Please advice.

Regards,
Anwar
Sil Martin
2018-03-12 16:58:32 UTC
Hi,

I was reading this thread but the last question didn't get any response.
I would like also to know if we can bundle the MongoDB Community Edition
together with a Commercial Product in a common installer. Is this allowed?

Thanks.
2018-03-14 03:35:04 UTC
Post by Sil Martin
I was reading this thread but the last question didn't get any response.
I would like also to know if we can bundle the MongoDB Community Edition
together with a Commercial Product in a common installer. Is this allowed?
Hi Sil,

I'm not certain on the caveats of redistributing or repackaging MongoDB
Community Edition installers in a commercial product, but have passed the
question to our legal team for follow-up. You can also ask licensing
questions directly via the Contact Us
<https://www.mongodb.com/lp/contact/enterprise> form on the MongoDB site,
as there may be differences depending on your particular situation. There
are a few ways of bundling installers (for example, installing an MSI in
silent mode) which may have different consequences.

The original question in this thread was related to end users providing
their own MongoDB deployment for use with a commercial application, which
puts the onus of license compliance on the end user. This is the most
straightforward approach.

A commercial or OEM license agreement with MongoDB would also remove any
ambiguity for redistribution of installers.

Regards,
Stennie
Kartik M
2018-07-18 15:02:08 UTC
Hi Stephen,

You might have got answer from legal department by now. As per your AGPL is
it like we need to provide only installation files & details if we develop
installation package for ease of end-customer? Or since we are using
mongoDB as a database manager in our product (hence separate work) so it
applies Apache license and hence nothing is required to be provided?
2018-07-30 02:54:43 UTC
Post by Kartik M
You might have got answer from legal department by now. As per your AGPL
is it like we need to provide only installation files & details if we
develop installation package for ease of end-customer? Or since we are
using mongoDB as a database manager in our product (hence separate work) so
it applies Apache license and hence nothing is required to be provided?
Hi Kartik,

Those are two separate questions.

As per your AGPL is it like we need to provide only installation files &
details if we develop installation package for ease of end-customer?

I don't have a generic answer for repackaging/redistribution of installers
under the AGPL and would encourage you to seek your own legal advice to
ensure compliance given the particulars of your commercial situation.

Or since we are using mongoDB as a database manager in our product (hence
separate work) so it applies Apache license and hence nothing is required
to be provided?

Once installed, your application would be communicating using a MongoDB
driver (Apache license for officially supported drivers) and should be
considered a separate work from the MongoDB server. See: MongoDB Licensing
<https://www.mongodb.com/community/licensing> for more information.

Regards,Stennie