[mongodb-user] MongoDB Charts: DataSource connection timeout
g***@nucont.com
2018-11-25 23:56:40 UTC
I'm trying to add my first DataSource that is hosted on Compose.io.

The MongoDB URL it's correct, I could connect with MongoDB Compass with it.
But at MongoDB Charts I receive this error:

error connecting to MongoDB: error connecting to MongoDB service cluster:
server selection timeout

Anyone has any idea how to solve it?
'Tom Hollander' via mongodb-user
2018-11-26 20:32:29 UTC
Hi -

This is a pretty generic error that means that the connection to MongoDB
failed. If it works in Compass but fails in Charts it's probably down to
one of two reasons:

1. Charts runs within a Docker container, which can handle naming
resolution differently to your host
2. Charts uses the Go driver while Compass uses the Node driver, which
can behave differently in very specific cases.

To help narrow this down, could you share the URI you are using, stripped
of any sensitive information?
thanks
Tom
2018-11-26 20:43:04 UTC
Hey Tom,

this is my URI:

mongodb://user:***@sl-us-south-1-portal.1.dblayer.com:50284,sl-us-south-1-portal.29.dblayer.com:50284/database?authSource=
database=true
2018-11-26 20:45:52 UTC
Just complementing:

Charts successfully connected to metadata DB, that it's in the same mongo
deployment.

I can login, create dashboards and users normally. Just can't add a new
datasource because of the timeout.
Robert Mühlbauer
2018-12-06 12:35:51 UTC
I think I've got a very similar, maybe even exactly the same problem: Google
Groups - Unable to add Datasource
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mongodb-user/datasource$20ssl%7Csort:date/mongodb-user/SRIDSKNuCjc/EF4Uxd7SAgAJ>
8020erwin
2018-12-07 12:06:56 UTC
Me too:
unable to connect data source
it is a database on mongodb.net M2
2018-12-07 12:21:47 UTC
Same problem here. We have exactly the same problem with MongoDB Charts
described in post of Robert: