[mongodb-user] MongoDB Charts- Cannot Access MongoDB Charts by opening a web browser
Nikita Chauhan
2018-08-13 07:39:47 UTC
I have completed all the steps but stuck on the final one - Launch the
Charts web application.
*Unable to access the charts dashboard. I have been trying to hit the IP of
my server and not able to access it through to name of the container too.
Need more specific guideline to troubleshoot this situation.*
'Tom Hollander' via mongodb-user
2018-08-16 06:37:21 UTC
Hi Nikita -

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you looked at the
troubleshooting tips
at https://docs.mongodb.com/charts/current/installation/#troubleshooting ?

Can you please verify that the Docker service is running, and obtain the
service logs as described in the documentation. If you can't figure out the
problem from the logs, please copy them into this thread, making sure to
remove any sensitive information should it be present.

thanks
Tom
Volkan
2018-08-16 14:59:53 UTC
Hi Tom,

I'm having the same issue. Here is the log output:

mongodb-***@linuxkit-025000000001 | ✔
encryptionKeyPath
mongodb-***@linuxkit-025000000001 | ✔ tokens
mongodb-***@linuxkit-025000000001 | ✔
stitchConfigTemplate
mongodb-***@linuxkit-025000000001 | ✔
stitchConfig
mongodb-***@linuxkit-025000000001 | ✔
stitchConfigWritten (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-025000000001 | ✖
mongoDBReachable failure: Can't connect to MongoDB at
mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017. Too many failed attempts. Last error: failed to
connect to server [127.0.0.1:27017] on first connect [MongoNetworkError:
connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:27017]

I can connect to mongodb from a terminal in my Mac but charts connect
connect.

Thanks for your help.
2018-08-16 22:20:28 UTC
Hi Volkan -

In your case, the issue is that the Docker container interprets 127.0.0.1
as local to the container. Assuming your mongod is running on the host, you
will need to use a special hostname that lets the container find the host.
For Docker 18.03 and higher on Windows or Mac, please try
mongodb://host.docker.internal. If you're running on on Linux please try
mongodb://172.17.0.1.

HTH
Tom
Post by Volkan
Hi Tom,
encryptionKeyPath
Volkan
2018-08-17 17:25:53 UTC
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your help.
Setting the key to this fixed the issue. I'm now up and running with charts.
mongodb://host.docker.internal

Thanks
Dũng Đinh
2018-09-18 10:12:36 UTC
Hi all,

I have the same problem. I have followed step by step
https://docs.mongodb.com/charts/current/installation/#install-charts
everything seems OK but I can not browser MongoDB chart from my Firefox

*Docker Info*

*Containers: 15 Running: 2 Paused: 0 Stopped: 13Images: 4Server Version:
18.06.1-ceStorage Driver: overlay2 Backing Filesystem: extfs Supports
d_type: true Native Overlay Diff: trueLogging Driver: json-fileCgroup
Driver: cgroupfsPlugins: Volume: local Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan
null overlay Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file
logentries splunk syslogSwarm: active NodeID: qb2who9hbbanl2so0ht0sfojv Is
Manager: true ClusterID: ik7l00bjtsggsc2j2x5i1s5kr Managers: 1 Nodes:
1 Orchestration: Task History Retention Limit: 5 Raft: Snapshot Interval:
10000 Number of Old Snapshots to Retain: 0 Heartbeat Tick: 1 Election
Tick: 10 Dispatcher: Heartbeat Period: 5 seconds CA Configuration: Expiry
Duration: 3 months Force Rotate: 0 Autolock Managers: false Root Rotation
In Progress: false Node Address: 192.168.65.3 Manager Addresses:
192.168.65.3:2377Runtimes: runcDefault Runtime: runcInit Binary:
docker-initcontainerd version: 468a545b9edcd5932818eb9de8e72413e616e86erunc
version: 69663f0bd4b60df09991c08812a60108003fa340init version:
fec3683Security Options: seccomp Profile: defaultKernel Version:
4.9.93-linuxkit-aufsOperating System: Docker for WindowsOSType:
linuxArchitecture: x86_64CPUs: 2Total Memory: 1.934GiBName:
linuxkit-00155d890114ID:
ETQR:PKOW:NHLC:LAB6:EXX6:H2N5:3TP2:E63T:55DW:HVRJ:MLD6:ZTNZDocker Root Dir:
/var/lib/dockerDebug Mode (client): falseDebug Mode (server): true File
Descriptors: 52 Goroutines: 190 System Time:
2018-09-18T10:06:17.4771461Z EventsListeners: 2Registry:
https://index.docker.io/v1/Labels:Experimental: trueInsecure
Registries: 127.0.0.0/8Live Restore Enabled: false*

docker ps
CONTAINER ID IMAGE
COMMAND CREATED STATUS
PORTS NAMES
967444c44974 quay.io/mongodb/charts:v0.10.0 "/bin/sh -c
'/usr/bi
" 8 minutes ago Up 8 minutes 80/tcp
mongodb-charts_charts.1.sh8plp0dm1ie5cmsjv146ce9g

docker service ls
ID NAME MODE
REPLICAS IMAGE PORTS
ittcew5fndpe mongodb-charts_charts replicated
1/1 quay.io/mongodb/charts:v0.10.0 *:80->80/tcp,
*:443->443/tcp

docker service logs mongodb-charts_charts

mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
parsedArgs
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
installDir ('/mongodb-charts')
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔ log
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
existingInstallation (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔ salt
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
productNameAndVersion ({ productName: 'MongoDB Charts', version: '0.10.0' })
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔ gitHash
('872b2a4f')
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
supportWidgetAndMetrics ('on')
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
chartsTestAdminCreated
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
encryptionKeyPath
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
chartsMongoDBUri
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchConfigTemplate
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
lastKnownVersion ('0.10.0')
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔ tokens
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchConfig
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
libMongoIsInPath (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchConfigWritten (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
mongoDBReachable (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchChildProcess
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchServerRunning (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchAdminCreated (false)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchUnconfigured (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchSetup ({ stitchBaseUrl: 'http://localhost:8080', stitchAppId:
'5b9a8aa7cc18890010c8f8e8', stitchClientAppId: 'mongodb-charts-twwwi',
stitchGroupId: '5b9a8aa4cc18890010c8f8de' })
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
migrationsExecuted ({})
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchServerQuitting (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
webConfigWritten (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
stitchServerQuit (true)
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
nginxConfigured ('http')
mongodb-***@linuxkit-00155d890114 | ✔
supervisorStarted (true)

The difference thing is I am connecting to mongodb from MongoDB Atlas
instead of local mongodb

Any advice?

Cheers,
2018-09-19 00:38:56 UTC
Hi DÅ©ng -

Everything looks healthy from your logs, and using Atlas for your metadata
is supported.

What URL are you hitting to try to access Charts? What are you seeing in
the browser - any error messages?

Did the step to create your first Charts user complete successfully?

Tom
https://index.docker.io/v1/
<https://index.docker.io/v1/>Labels:Experimental: trueInsecure
Registries: 127.0.0.0/8 <http://127.0.0.0/8>Live Restore Enabled: false*
Dũng Đinh
2018-09-19 02:51:20 UTC
Hi Tom,

I tried to access Charts tool http://127.0.0.1:80 and it showed that could
not find.....

The step to create Charts user is successfully.

Cheers,
Dung Dinh
Dũng Đinh
2018-09-19 06:28:57 UTC
Yes, I am running Window 10... IIS not running now

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> netstat -anb | findStr "80"
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP [::]:80 [::]:0 LISTENING
UDP [fe80::b076:188a:9215:fc03%21]:1900 *:*
UDP [fe80::b076:188a:9215:fc03%21]:62838 *:*
2018-09-20 22:57:44 UTC
Can you send a screenshot of exactly what you see when you browse to
http://localhost ?
Post by Volkan
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your help.
Setting the key to this fixed the issue. I'm now up and running with charts.
mongodb://host.docker.internal
Thanks
Post by 'Tom Hollander' via mongodb-user
Hi Volkan -
In your case, the issue is that the Docker container interprets
127.0.0.1 as local to the container. Assuming your mongod is running on the
host, you will need to use a special hostname that lets the container find
the host. For Docker 18.03 and higher on Windows or Mac, please try
mongodb://host.docker.internal. If you're running on on Linux please try
mongodb://172.17.0.1.
HTH
Tom
Post by Volkan
Hi Tom,
encryptionKeyPath
Dũng Đinh

8020erwin
2018-11-27 12:03:25 UTC
Hi I have the same problem as DÃŒng.

No errors in the log, but cannot connect to the localhost from a
browser.(windows 10, chrome firefox)
For what it is worth, my vEthernet(DockerNAT) has the same ip addres as
DÃŒng's.

Kind regards

Erwin
8020erwin
2018-11-30 11:25:35 UTC
after a Docker update i got the message that vpnkit.exe was blocked by the
firewall.
I unblocked it and now it works.
2018-08-16 17:22:54 UTC
*Hello all I am having issues with getting my MongoDB Charts to go past the
login page after I put in the creds. I am running docker ce version 18.03
and am running mongodb in a docker container from dockerhub with
bind_ip_all. My docker0 interface is 172.17.0.2 so my secret is *
*echo "mongodb://172.17.0.1*" | docker secret create charts-mongodb-uri -

Both the mongodb container and charts container is running from my linux
host machine with the docker CE installed on it.

*In the charts-docker-compose yml file I have the following:version:
"3.3"services: charts: image: quay.io/mongodb/charts:v0.9.0
hostname: charts ports: # host:container port mapping. If you want
MongoDB Charts to be # reachable on a different port on the docker
host, change this # to <port>:80, e.g. 8888:80. - 8889:80
volumes: - keys:/mongodb-charts/volumes/keys -
db-certs:/mongodb-charts/volumes/db-certs environment: # This
environment variable controls the built-in support widget and #
metrics collection in MongoDB Charts. To disable both, set the value #
to "off". The default is "on". CHARTS_SUPPORT_WIDGET_AND_METRICS:
"on" # Directory where you can upload SSL certificates (.pem format)
which # should be considered trusted self-signed or root certificates
when # Charts is accessing MongoDB servers with ?ssl=true
SSL_CERT_DIR: /mongodb-charts/volumes/db-certs networks: -
backend secrets: - charts-mongodb-urinetworks: backend:volumes:
keys: db-certs:secrets: charts-mongodb-uri: external: trueOn the
docker host I am connecting to the URL via port 8889 using the url of
http://localhost:8889/ I also tried http://127.0.0.1:8889 which works
fine with no problem. However my issue is when I input the email and
password into its field and click login button, nothing happens. From the
charts-cli add user command I am adding a user with the UserAdmin role. It
seems the only two user options are UserAdmin and User anyways. *

docker exec -it $(docker container ls --filter name=_charts -q) charts-cli add-user --first-name "tim" --last-name "jones" --email "***@trail.com" --password "changepass" --role "UserAdmin"

*Log file shows this which looks good: *

* mongodb-***@work | ✔ encryptionKeyPath
mongodb-***@work | ✔ tokens
mongodb-***@work | ✔ stitchConfigTemplate
mongodb-***@work | ✔ stitchConfig
mongodb-***@work | ✔ stitchConfigWritten
(true) mongodb-***@work | ✔ mongoDBReachable
(true) mongodb-***@work | ✔
stitchChildProcess mongodb-***@work | ✔
stitchServerRunning (true) mongodb-***@work |
✔ stitchAdminCreated (true) mongodb-***@work
| ✔ stitchUnconfigured (true)
mongodb-***@work | ✔ stitchSetup ({
stitchBaseUrl: 'http://localhost:8080', stitchAppId:
'5b758bdccc18890011b1082d', stitchClientAppId: 'mongodb-charts-hrpkg',
stitchGroupId: '5b5b2bdccc18890011b13c6a' })
mongodb-***@work | ✔ stitchServerQuitting
(true) mongodb-***@work | ✔ webConfigWritten
(true) mongodb-***@work | ✔ stitchServerQuit
(true) mongodb-***@work | ✔ supervisorStarted
(true)The charts-cli.log file looks good too:***@charts:/# cat
/mongodb-charts/logs/charts-cli.log2018-08-16T19:34:00.245+00:00 INFO
called charts-cli startup with arguments
{"_":["startup"],"debug":false,"help":false,"version":false,"d":"/mongodb-charts","directory":"/mongodb-charts","$0":"mongodb-charts/bin/charts-cli.js"}2018-08-16T19:34:00.271+00:00
INFO encryptionKeyPath task success2018-08-16T19:34:00.324+00:00 INFO
tokens task success2018-08-16T19:34:00.326+00:00 INFO stitchConfigTemplate
task success2018-08-16T19:34:00.330+00:00 INFO stitchConfig task
success2018-08-16T19:34:00.341+00:00 INFO stitchConfigWritten task success
(true)2018-08-16T19:34:00.426+00:00 INFO waiting for MongoDB, attempt #1
to connect to MongoDB at mongodb://172.17.0.12018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00
WARN waiting for MongoDB, successfully connected to MongoDB at
mongodb://172.17.0.1 after 1 attempts.2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN
waiting for Stitch to start, attempt #1 to connecto to Stitch server at
http://localhost:80802018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN waiting for Stitch
to start, attempt #1 failed: connect ECONNREFUSED
127.0.0.1:80802018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN waiting for Stitch to
start, attempt #2 to connecto to Stitch server at
http://localhost:80802018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN waiting for Stitch
to start, attempt #2 failed: connect ECONNREFUSED
127.0.0.1:80802018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 INFO waiting for Stitch to
start, successfully connected to Stitch at http://localhost:8080 after 2
attempts. ...........2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 INFO called charts-cli
add-user with arguments......2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 INFO user
***@trail.com has been added with role UserAdminI am not sure as to why
the login is not working. When I put in an incorect password it prompts for
a valid email/password entry. But when I put in the correct values it does
nothing after clicking login *
'Tom Hollander' via mongodb-user
2018-08-16 22:22:01 UTC
Hi Paul -

Your logs definitely seem to be in order. I'm not sure why you can't log
in. What web browser are you using? If you open your browser's development
tools, do you see any error logs? Have you tried connecting from any other
browsers/computers?

Tom
*echo "mongodb://172.17.0.1 <http://172.17.0.1>*" | docker secret create
<http://quay.io/mongodb/charts:v0.9.0> hostname: charts ports: #
http://localhost:8889/ <http://localhost:8889/> I also tried
http://127.0.0.1:8889 <http://127.0.0.1:8889> which works fine with no
stitchBaseUrl: 'http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080>',
'mongodb-charts-hrpkg', stitchGroupId: '5b5b2bdccc18890011b13c6a' })
/mongodb-charts/logs/charts-cli.log2018-08-16T19:34:00.245+00:00 INFO
called charts-cli startup with arguments
{"_":["startup"],"debug":false,"help":false,"version":false,"d":"/mongodb-charts","directory":"/mongodb-charts","$0":"mongodb-charts/bin/charts-cli.js"}2018-08-16T19:34:00.271+00:00
INFO encryptionKeyPath task success2018-08-16T19:34:00.324+00:00 INFO
tokens task success2018-08-16T19:34:00.326+00:00 INFO stitchConfigTemplate
task success2018-08-16T19:34:00.330+00:00 INFO stitchConfig task
success2018-08-16T19:34:00.341+00:00 INFO stitchConfigWritten task success
(true)2018-08-16T19:34:00.426+00:00 INFO waiting for MongoDB, attempt #1
to connect to MongoDB at mongodb://172.17.0.1
<http://172.17.0.1>2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN waiting for MongoDB,
successfully connected to MongoDB at mongodb://172.17.0.1
<http://172.17.0.1> after 1 attempts.2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN
waiting for Stitch to start, attempt #1 to connecto to Stitch server at
http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080>2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00
WARN waiting for Stitch to start, attempt #1 failed: connect ECONNREFUSED
127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080>2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 WARN
waiting for Stitch to start, attempt #2 to connecto to Stitch server at
http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080>2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00
WARN waiting for Stitch to start, attempt #2 failed: connect ECONNREFUSED
127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080>2018-08-16T19:34:00.682+00:00 INFO
waiting for Stitch to start, successfully connected to Stitch at
http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080> after 2 attempts.