[mongodb-user] Connection error : MongoDB Shell to MongoDB Atlas
RAJ SINGH
2018-05-26 14:08:10 UTC

I have been trying to connect mongoDB shell from my local system to below
cluster used for mongoDB class on EDX portal :

mongo
"mongodb://cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017,cluster0-shard-00-01-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017,cluster0-shard-00-02-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017/100YWeatherSmall?replicaSet=cluster0-shard-0"
--authenticationDatabase admin --ssl --username m001-student --password
m001-mongodb-basics

Getting below error every time :

*2018-05-26T19:22:05.396+0530 E QUERY [thread1] SyntaxError: missing ;
before statement @(shell):1:6 *

I am able to connect successfully with Atlas cluster via mongoDB compass
from my system but shell connection has failed.

MongoDB version installed : 3.6
MongoDB Shell version : 3.6.5

Tried searching but was not able to resolve problem. Please could you help .

Thanks
raj
RAJ SINGH

'Kevin Adistambha' via mongodb-user
2018-05-30 00:58:38 UTC
Hi Raj

2018-05-26T19:22:05.396+0530 E QUERY [thread1] SyntaxError: missing ;
before statement @(shell):1:6

Could you run the mongo shell command using the --norc parameter?

If you can connect without any issue, you may want to take a look at your
~/.mongorc.js (in Unix systems) file and check it for errors — a missing
semicolon from the error message. See the mongorc.js page
<https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/mongo/#mongorc-js-file> for more
information.

If you still having errors, please post the complete shell output you’re
seeing from mongo invocation up to the error.

Best regards
Kevin
​
RAJ SINGH
2018-05-30 15:15:04 UTC
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for responding mate. I did try what you mentioned but that did not
help me. Please find attached snapshots for your reference.

I have mongoDB 3.6.5 2008R2Plus Enterprise (64 Bit) and MongoDB Compass
installed on my system as suggested in MongoDB basics class. Interesting
part is i am able to connect to both Altas clusters [ one cluster shared in
mongoDB class and second one which i created online via mongoDB portal ]
via compass installed on my system.

thanks
Raj
Hi Raj
Yogesh Irmal
2018-12-10 15:58:48 UTC
Hello Raj,

Did you get any solution?
I am facing the same issue, not able to find any help on google.

Best Regards,
Yogesh Irmal
2018-06-01 00:28:12 UTC
Hi Raj

The mongo shell is a Javascript interpreter. Trying to type mongo <server
address> <additional parameters> inside the shell is a syntax error (it is
not a Javascript statement or any supported command). This is the source of
the SyntaxError: missing ; before statement output.

There are more details in the mongo shell page
<https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/mongo/> regarding the shell.

To connect to your Atlas instance, you should type at the command prompt:

C:\Users\user> mongo "mongodb://<your Atlas deployment address>" --ssl --authenticationDatabase admin --username <your username> --password <PASSWORD>

I would also recommend you to peruse the free courses at the MongoDB
University <https://university.mongodb.com/>, e.g. M001
<https://university.mongodb.com/courses/M001/about> which is a thorough
introduction to MongoDB. The next session will start at 5 June.

Best regards
Kevin
​